Friday, September 30, 2011

Groom Creek 10K Race Report

Last Saturday, September 24th, was the Groom Creek Classic race where I ran the 10K. It was a special race for a couple reasons. First, it is my local backyard run and starts and finishes at the fire department where Luke works. It was also special because, last year when I ran this 10K, I was at the end of my first week of my first marathon training, and the beginning of my health crusade. My finishing time from last year was 1:14:18 and 13th out of 14 in my age category. I had this to say about it:

Well, I made it. I survived the first week of the marathon training. Today I ran the 10K in the Groom Creek Classic which served as my first official long run. Right now I am practically dead in my chair. I am so tired and so sore. My arches are killing me, my knees feel creaky, and just general soreness all over. My energy was high throughout the race but my breathing never really stabilized. I had no cramps, no shin splints so far and no serious pain. My goal was to break 1:20 and I came in at 1:14.

Week one complete. Seventeen more to go.

187.5


Although it was generally a very positive experience, I am surprised I kept up the running, period. It sounds miserable, doesn't it? You'll note that I was also carrying an extra 40 lbs.

I am proud to report that this time it was a much easier experience. The details of the race are not that important or newsworthy. I pushed hard and there was significant elevation gain in the out and back course. Because it was my backyard run I wanted to do well.

When I was coming into the finish line I could see the clock and it read 49:49. I was still a ways out and wanted badly to finish in under 50 minutes. I sprinted very hard towards the chute and it seemed as if I would just barely make it. Just before I crossed the line a 5 year old boy aimlessly wandered left and directly in front of me. I had no other choice but to slow down to a near stop and skirt to the right to avoid him. I crossed the line and hoped for the best.

My official finishing time was 49:59 and good enough for first overall female. That's a 24 minute improvement and, at that moment, I felt very proud of my transformation over the last year. Cheers to health!

Tomorrow morning I take on another race. Currently, I am at my mother-in-law's house in New Hampshire with two of my sisters and their husbands. In the morning Ashleigh, Abby, Ben and I will run the New Hampshire Marathon in Bristol, NH. It will be their first and my third. We prepped with a delicious pasta dinner and a viewing of Spirit of the Marathon. Now it's 11:30pm and time for some rest.

I have a goal time of 4:10.

149

1 comment:

Sarah said...

that is a GREAT time.