On June 2, 2010 I had an appointment with my midwife, Paula, in her office, at 1:30pm. My parents were visiting, awaiting the arrival of their 18th grandchild. My dad accompanied me on what I hoped would be my last appointment before she was born. The baby's heart beat had been slow and dipping at times throughout the pregnancy, and still was at this appointment, so Paula sent me 45 minutes away, to Cottonwood Hospital, for a non-stress test. It was important that this was addressed so that a successful home birth was more likely. I eventually passed the test(!) and we were back home by 6:15pm.
At home my mom, Luke and Johanna were waiting. My mom had prepared a special birthday dinner for me since Luke had been working on my actual birthday the night before. As per tradition I chose the dishes: Flank steak, rice, beet greens, salad and a yellow cake with chocolate frosting for dessert! We ate on the back deck in near perfect weather. At 8pm my parents left to go back to the house where they were staying. Expert sleeper, Johanna, was asleep by 8pm and Luke and I were in bed by 9pm.
I woke up at 10pm with minor stomach pain, noted the time and went back to sleep. This happened several times until 11:30pm when I noticed it seemed to be waking me up every 3-4 minutes! I didn't think that could be right so I got up to use the computer and to track my contractions on a note pad. I kept track until 1:10am and they were all 4-6 minutes apart. I finally admitted to myself that I should call Paula. I told her my findings and she said she was on her way. At that time Luke got up and we waited in the living room discussing last-minute things we needed to do before the birth. We also spent some time speculating about how dilated I would be. I thought, and hoped, maybe around 4cm. I can't remember what Luke predicted.
Paula arrived at 2am, on June 3, and checked me. I was "6-7cm"!! At that point we all scurried around the house getting things ready. Luke assembled and filled the birthing pool in the living room. Paula made my bed with extra layers of sheets. I got some items together, stopping every 5 minutes as a wave of contractions hit. I would find a hard surface, end table or dining room table, and lean on it breathing deeply though the contraction. Luke would rub my lower back if he was near and then I would continue whatever I was doing.
I first got into the pool at 2:45am. It felt great, but my contractions immediately slowed so Paula had me get out and walk around the house a bit more. At 3am birthing assistants Deborah and Belle arrived. Paula checked me again and I was a solid 7cm and she offered to break my water to get things moving. I was game and it was painless. I then got back into the pool. Labor pains gradually became more intense, although the contractions were not equal distances apart. Sometimes I would have two close together and then a huge break between (like 8 minutes).
I was very comfortable in the pool and the environment in the room was serene. James Taylor played softly in the background. Luke was supporting me by stroking my hair and propping me up from outside the pool. He was so loving and comforting.
I was able to breathe through the contractions fairly easily until about 5am when I hit the transition stage. Contractions were very intense at this point and my previously calm breathing turned more shallow, panting. I held on tight to Luke during this time. Paula checked me at 5:30am and said I was almost fully dilated and suggested I squat instead of stay on my back. That was a daunting proposition, but I knew it would help and speed things up. With all my possible effort I turned towards Luke and onto my knees and we clasped hands and arms.

When the contraction came I pushed and grunted and felt the burning, that I had conveniently forgotten about from Johanna's birth. The contraction was long so I kept pushing and the head was delivered. Paula told me to stop pushing and to pant instead. Then she said to slowly and gently push and the body slipped out. At 5:48am she was born! Because I was on my hands and knees facing Luke, I had to lift my leg over the umbilical cord as I turned around to greet my Emelia Louise. She was blue-ish, but perfectly healthy. I held her immediately and kept her warm in the water. On my last push my voice woke up Johanna, who had been sleeping through the whole thing in our tiny little house. After Luke and I greeted Emelia for a minute, he went to get Johanna and brought her into the living room. She was surprised to see a baby and a pool in her house! Luke held her and I held Emelia and we were overcome with emotion and love. Our Family. It was the sweetest thing and the closest I have ever felt to another human being.
I got out of the tub and into bed to nurse Emelia. She took to it almost immediately. Paula dried me off and got to cleaning up the house with the birthing team. They weighed and examined Emmy before leaving. She weighed in at 6 lbs. 3 oz. and 20 inches long. My parents arrived just 10 minutes after the birth and were able to share in the after glow.
Having a successful home birth was so incredibly special. I absolutely love my family and realize how lucky I am. Emmy has been such a sweet addition to our lives and being a mother is the best gift I have ever been given.




5 comments:
What joy we experienced in being able to "share" this home birth with you and Luke and Johanna. This is a beautiful write-up of an exceptionally beautiful experience. You are an amazing woman, wife, mother, daughter :) Thank you for letting everyone be a part of Emelia's entry into this earth experience.
Mom
I love reading stories like this. I was a student of Emilie's; her blog is how I found yours and I haven't been able to stop reading! Your story is so beautiful and only fuel my desire to become a doula. Thank you so much for sharing!!
Zoe - What a great profession! I would have loved a doula at my first daughter's birth when I really needed one. That story later...
I can't wait to hear it! :) You're a beautiful writer, thanks again for sharing such a wonderful moment!
Such a beautiful story! We are planning a home birth too so this is an inspiration. xx
Post a Comment