I have to write some of these funnies down before I forget.
Last week both girls were sick with colds, still tapering off. It was a tough couple of nights for Johanna with a fever and tossing and turning nightmares ALL night. Needless to say Luke and I didn't sleep very well either. Both girls were so cheery during the days though, you would never know they weren't feeling well if it weren't for the steady streams of green boogers from their noses. We nicknamed Emmy "double barrel" after a few productive sneezing sessions. We have been spending quality time inside watching youtube ballerina videos, playing in the snow, coloring, painting, perfecting cartwheels, playing dress-up, reading books and making pancakes with Luke. Johanna loves to watch and imitate ballet dancers - ballerinas.
We have been seeing lots of javelinas in our front yard, crossing the road and in our neighborhood. I have talked about them in regards to eating my pumpkins or flower tops to Johanna, or anyone who will listen. Johanna listens. She refers to the javelina as "ballerina piggies". Luke caught onto it much faster that me. But of course, javelina and ballerina do sound alike. Today we had to stop on the 2 lane highway to our house to let a pack of ballerina piggies cross the road. They are so much more beautiful to me now.
How do you know it's time to lower your baby's crib? Wait until she dives out of it, landing on her head and then bam! jumps to her feet in cat-like recovery mode. It happened here. A couple days later I had stripped her of her diaper in preparation for tubby time. I let more than 5 minutes pass as I finished up the dishes when a little 18 month old came into the kitchen visibly distressed about what was on her hands. I saw something and did what any mom would do, I smelled it. Poop. So now I am in total panic mode searching the house for the source. I didn't find it. I put her in the tub and washed off her hands for which she was very pleased. 30 minutes pass and I finally discovered a tiny, undisturbed turd right next to the new scale in the hallway. I am not convinced I found it all, but at least I found something! This was last night and she is still alive after likely ingesting some of it. I am proud that I restrained the open, status-update question to FB land.
Last week before our few days of snow, Luke stacked our wood under the eave. Johanna and Emmy helped. Although tempting, I cannot take credit for the outfitting.
Yesterday afternoon I took the girls to the grocery store for some dinner supplies. On the way home, as we were pointing out and enjoying Christmas decorations, Johanna asked to go to the square to play. I explained to her that we needed to get home to make dinner and that daddy was waiting. She did not like the answer, but after a few repeat explanations she accepted it. We went back to spotting bows and garland, which she calls garlic, and I saw a wreath that I loved. I exclaimed, "Oh, I want to get a wreath for our door so much!" Without skipping a beat, Johanna said to me, "Sorry sweetie pie, but we have to go home and make dinner for daddy. We are running late."
There is so much to be learned from our kids. They are honest. They don't let a little sickness get them down. They try their hardest. They inspire me.
1 comment:
You have no idea how much you will appreciate writing down these precious moments. When life isn't so busy and children are grown you will read these memories and it will transport you back to the magical period of life when 24/7 you had the privilege to know what is going on in those dear little heads and hearts! And to hear their honest and true reflections about life! This is a beautiful blog...I love you :)
Mom
Post a Comment