Friday, December 9, 2011
Polar Express Train
Last night we rode to the North Pole on the Polar Express Train in Williams, AZ. It did not disappoint...
Luke and I made a conservative plan, we thought, to leave the house at 3:45pm for the drive to Williams. We were supposed to be there by 5pm to pick up our tickets for our 5:30pm departing train. Well, somehow it took longer than expected. I first realized this at 4:41pm. I asked Luke how many more miles and we started doing calculations. We were on track to arrive at 5:25pm. PANIC. Between Luke's expert driving and my worrying we had an exciting trip. Tickets are prepaid and if you miss your train, you miss your train. Oh, and there had been so much build up over the last month so alternative plans were dancing through my head for Johanna's sake. We pulled into the parking lot and while Luke parked I ran to pick up our tickets with success! I found Luke and the girls and we ran altogether down the platform to find our train. I was giggling uncontrollably. Is that weird? I think it's because that is the scene of many airport and train experiences for me growing up, locally and abroad. Chaos is my comfort zone.
We made the train! We boarded grinning ear to ear and one of our nice conductors showed us our seats.
Part of the fun of the Polar Express is that all the kids wear their pajamas and slippers on the train. Luke's grandfather, Ken, gifted the girls some money last Christmas which I spent on Christmas pajamas and dresses for this year (great post holiday sales at Hanna Andersson). So, yesterday they put on their new matching jammies for the train.
Johanna was just beside herself in happiness and joy, showing reverence for the experience. As we pulled away from the train station the sun had set just enough that the glow shone along the mountain tops in the distance.
Shortly after we started on our way cookies and hot chocolate were served. Since I had seen Emmy on sugar before I drank almost all her hot chocolate before giving her the lidded cup. All she really wants to do is hold a cup like her sister. The cookies were enormous so the four of us shared just one which was ample. Even with my attempt at bringing the sugar down to a reasonable level Emmy was severely affected. Luke and I took turns catching a jumping, flying, arching and crazed baby - though happy.
About halfway to the North Pole a speaker came on and the story of the Polar Express was read aloud. The two conductors walked through the train car with books, showing the kids the pictures. Next year we will have to come prepared with our own copy.
Pretty soon we were nearing the main attraction. The kids on the train were high on sugar and bubbling with excitement. All the kids piled onto the north side of the train where the North Pole soon emerged, and Santa on his sleigh!!
Just after the North Pole the train stopped for just a minute (for a reindeer crossing) and then started back the way we came. There was an announcement that Santa may have boarded the train. As we sang Christmas songs and waited for our turn to see Santa, I empathized with Johanna's patience. The anticipation was tangible.
Finally, Santa arrived!! He was a nice Santa and gifted all the boys and girls a big, silver bell, of course.
After the train returned to the depot we unloaded and walked around the village looking at lights and decorations. Johanna even got to meet Mrs. Clause.
We made the long drive home and the kids were in bed by 9pm. The tickets were not cheap, but this holiday splurge was well worth the price. It's such a treasure to make memories with each other instead of collecting things. I teared up three times on the train. I am in love with my family and our opportunities to really live this life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment