Friday, December 9, 2011

Thoughts on Tucson

I really need to go to bed, but this may be my last time to post prior to the Tucson Marathon on Sunday.  I leave bright and early tomorrow morning, with a couple of pals, to head down.


As I've already stated this is going to be a huge effort and, frankly, a little outrageous.  It's got me right on the edge of what's possible and what's not.  There are a few things that I'm constantly having to beat out of my thoughts.

1. Forecasted wind in the wrong direction.  9mph.  Is that a lot?
2. Left foot arch pain that has seemingly gotten worse in the last week.
3. Quad blow up possibilities

All of these things cannot get my attention.  I know I've just allowed them here, but I will succeed in not letting them into my race.  #3 is a big problem for people in this particular race.  I have read nearly 30 race reports in the last week for Tucson.  90% of them are negative experiences with quad blowouts at mile 20-ish.  My favorite report on this topic, written by a coach, is here (hilarious if you have the time).  He sums up all the other reports with a bit of humor.

Moving on.  I have an outrageous plan for my outrageous, and doable, goal.

Mile 1              8:00
Miles 2-3         8:15 (minor hills)
Miles 4-10       8:00 (down hill)
Miles 11-14     8:30 (bigger hills)
Miles 15-20     8:15 (down hill)
Miles 21-26      9:00 (flattens out, 1 hill)
.2                     1:30

3:39:30

BELIEVE!

149

1 comment:

Martha Schickedanz said...

I will be thinking of and praying for you -- Best thoughts going your way! Love you, Mom