I have been feeling swamped with life this week. Let's see. There has been work at two new jobs, another root canal(#13), a friend's 4th birthday party, a new hair do, a mid-May Arizona snow storm on my newly planted Petunia's, a CSA farm share pick-up and oh, that pesky little marathon to be run THIS SATURDAY!
It seems impossible that the marathon is upon me. I am sure I didn't let the PF Chang's marathon sneak up on me in January. What has changed? It must be its familiarity, that it's my hometown race. Or, that I don't have to travel anywhere, plan logistics and stay in a hotel. My kids are older. I've lost 10 more pounds. I've been running longer. Is it just simply because it's my second marathon? Will heading into all subsequent marathons feel like this? Is the mystery of the marathon totally gone?
Or, am I going to get my tail handed to me in 3 days?
This is when my optimism reigns. I have done the work. Yes, I only decided to run this marathon 6 weeks ago, but I am prepared. It is an infamously tough course, but I am going out there for the experience of it and not to PR. The weather is calling for clear skies and a high of 76 degrees. I am doing the early (5am) start. Two club runners will be joining me, one of which had a baby 13 weeks ago. Both have done it before. The last 9 miles are down hill, mostly.
“You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have.” -unknown
There is always the possibility that I do better than I think.
150
1 comment:
good luck! excited for you!
Post a Comment