Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Let there be light!
Okay people. Here it is. I am going to qualify for Boston.
This is a lofty goal for me in even the best of race day circumstances. I believe I can do it though and I will have fun trying. Fun? Actually, yes, to me it is. What is the worst outcome? Not making it? Well, that will only tell me more about myself and what needs to happen to see the goal through. So a failure is actually a breakthrough in training. With this in mind I'd be silly not to at least try.
Regarding our athletic pursuits, Luke often poses the question, "After we reach that goal, what's next? There will always be something to chase after". It's an interesting question and always has me thinking about what it is we're (I'm) chasing. Will I ever just be satisfied with a reached goal or will I always want more? And if I want more does that mean I am not fulfilled in some deeper sense?
I think I've figured it out. With Boston it's not really about making it to a specific race, it's about meeting the challenge that the qualifying for that race presents. It's the process of pushing myself that I find so attractive. It's fun to see what you're capable of and where your boundaries really are. Otherwise you will just be living in the dark. Maybe you are happy and content living in the dark and not knowing exactly where your boundaries are. For me that's a waste. For me that would be living in fear. Sure, it's a little scary to test yourself because you might find out that you're really not cut out for something. If you choose to just live in the dark you can pretend that you are cut out for anything and everything because you don't actually know the answer. But, if you do try something once and it doesn't go well that is not actually a set answer either because you can always try again! So trying is a win/win!
Back to Boston, it is the process of the goal. For a while I was scared to say that I was going to try and qualify. So I asked myself why. What if I don't make it? Okay, so say I don't make it. Even then I am sure to come away with a new idea, a new feeling and a good story - all will be teaching tools for future tries.
Here's the nitty gritty. I will have to get a 3:39.59 or faster. That is an 8:23 pace. Reminder: my current PR is 4:20. That is a pace of 9:55. That is an enormous jump.
Trying in Tucson in two weeks provides some upsides. It is a gradual downhill and the weather will almost certainly be ideal. My training leading up has been adequate, but flawed. I have 5 other team mates from my local running club doing it, 3 of which may be trying for Boston as well. Two of them are women in my age group that obviously have the same qualifying time.
Maybe this goal is out of reach by most people's standards. Luke, my faithful supporter, thinks I have a different problem...
Thoughts?
150
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have no doubt you will run Boston. Soon. Love you, girl.
Good luck in Tucson! I'm looking forward to reading your report. By the way, I'm skeptical of the TED talk. My personal experience definitely says otherwise.
Very insightful- truly the motivation I need to keep me going. You are an inspiration and your reach just gets longer as you continue to accomplish your goals. Go Brooke!
Post a Comment