Friday, April 8, 2011

The glass is half full

Today I ran 5 miles in 38 degree weather and sleet.  I felt great and my pace seems to be getting steadily faster without much effort.  I am mostly training on hills and dirt in preparation for the Whiskey Row on May 14th.  I have made a big decision in the last week that is marginally surprising.  I have decided to run the Whiskey Row Full Marathon instead of the Half.  What?!?!  Yes, you read that correctly.

This does change my goal for a marathon significantly.  I will not be shooting for a personal record time (PR).  The Whiskey Row Marathon is known for its tough course.  It is our hometown race and I want a piece of it.  I am young(somewhat), willing, optimistic and able.  The goal of this marathon is to experience it.  The other goal of this marathon is to keep to the aforementioned goal.  Sometimes I am sneaky and try to do crazy things at the last-minute.  Like.... change from a half to the full. I have modified a training plan because jumping right in to do 18 miles the first week was not an option.  On Sunday I will be running 15 miles.  I hope to run it on the course, but that will depend on the weather.  "They" are now saying 5-9 inches of snow for tonight.

149

4 comments:

Amylee said...

Oh my god, you are crazy girl! Psyched for you of course, but I still think you're crazy. Could you share some of that motivation puh-leeeeze? Miss you and love you!
P.s. new blog post for me finally!

Clarice said...

Wow you are really brave. I feel like I would need to mentally prepare for months for a marathon. Good Luck.

Emilie said...

you go, Brooke! That's my girl! xoxoxo

Martha Schickedanz said...

I am impressed. You are amazing.
And I love you. Mom