At 8:45am I left the house to pick up my friend, Amylee. The sun was shining in all blue skies and we were off to do the Embry Riddle Aeronautical University POW/MIA 5K. It was a very small event and just $10 to register. Most of the Mountain Miler regulars were there in support, either running or cheering.
I had never done this particular course, but heard it was a fun little trail run. I was told there was a "small" hill just after the start and then just a few hills here and there. It also turned to pavement for the last half mile. I have run two 5Ks in the the past, but took neither of them very seriously. My best time was 29:47 in 2009. I really had no idea(still) how to run a 5K, so I decided just to go for it.
There were no timing chips, air horns, or whistles. It was just, "Ready, Set, GO!" I had my Garmin and used it. The first hill was brutal and a couple people slowed way down for it. I ended up behind a girl that was keeping a good pace so I tucked in behind her for the first half mile. Once a downhill came and she didn't accelerate I passed her. The trail was sandy at times and the sun was hot. I think it got into the low 80s today. I was really huffing and puffing, but kept looking at my Garmin to see I was making progress! Halfway there, only a mile to go, just a half mile to go... I am so happy I had my Garmin because the unknown would have had me walking towards the end. In the final straightaway there were 3 guys all running together. I made them my rabbits and made it my mission to catch them. I did and was able to pass just two of them. I crossed the finish line in 26:29 and felt really great about that. I pushed myself hard and ended up being the first woman overall. Shocker!
Best of all I had some quality "me" time with a good friend. We were able to chat freely without wrangling in kids every second or two. These days that is invaluable.
Here are some of the Mountain Milers I run with.
And the team event taking off.
Here at home we are recovering from sickness. Luke was hit the hardest and having a sick husband is never any fun for anybody. Today we had a wonderful afternoon as a family though. We went downtown, enjoyed the weather, ate some lunch and walked through a local art event. And, ice cream to finish it all off!
153
1 comment:
way to go action mama!! so proud of you:) first woman, you own it!
Post a Comment