Thursday, September 23, 2010

Athlete at heart

I went out to a local trail to meet some friends for 3 miles today. They each showed up with a jogger stroller and a kid. I was solo!! They were going to do the 7 mile, long run scheduled for this weekend. I was set on sticking to the plan and doing the 3 miles so off we went. At the 1.5 mile turn around I was feeling good and figured since I had this support today I may as well take advantage of it. After all, I am the queen of procrastination and I could easily get myself out of the long run on Saturday if I was all alone and left to my devices. So I pressed on.

I didn't start feeling good until just after mile 1. I ran consistently for the first 3.5 miles and then walk/ran for the remainder of the run. I wish I brought my camera because the scenery is spectacular and I should feel lucky for such great running conditions. This particular trail is flat and has mile markers. I'm so happy I'm training on flat for the most part and that the race will be flat. I am in no position to be negotiating hills. I am just worrying about putting one foot in front of the other.

There was a fair amount of crazy talk in my head during this run like, "are you crazy? You're never going to finish a marathon!" But there were also glimmers of hope. At one point when I was feeling especially good I said to myself, "underneath all this fat and negative thoughts is an athlete!" Whatever works I guess. It got me through the run in 1:20. The other two women are completely amazing with their joggers and I was lucky to keep pace with them for once!!

I felt so elated as I got into the car. I checked my voicemails and had three! Instant panic set in as I left my husband home with the girls. Sure enough, two of the voicemails were baby Emmy wailing away in the background. So I skipped the grocery store stop and cruised home as fast as safely possible. The poor baby was still crying when I arrived home, but she instantly stopped when I picked her up. That feels pretty good too!

Tomorrow I teach kayaking which I will take as my cross day and then just 3 miles on Sunday. Today I'm feeling generally optimistic about my goal. Woohoo!

184

1 comment:

Ashleigh and Andy said...

way to go brookie!! very inspiring.