It has been a nice week of routine and getting back to the land of the living. The girls are finally back to themselves, except Emmy's teething drama.
We had an exciting start on Monday morning when we visited Johanna's future preschool and signed her up for the fall. Johanna was beside herself. It's safe to say that she was under the impression that she would be starting school that day, not just signing up. While I was filling out paperwork, Johanna was watching the kids waiting in the bathroom line. I could actually see all the data she was collecting being absorbed into her brain. After we were officially signed up we asked to see some of the classrooms. The lady in charge took us to a classroom where 3-5 year olds were all sitting at a table, being served a snack. I stayed at the door with the woman as she explained a few things. Johanna marched right over to the table, pulled out a chair and sat down next to one of the kids. The lady in charge remarked, "I think she's ready!" It was slightly amazing. No fear whatsoever. The same thing happened in the next classroom and when it was time to go, and I was gently trying to persuade her to leave, I reminded her to say goodbye to the kids. She turned around and loudly exclaimed, "Bye, Kids!" It was a true task to get her back in the car to do the next errand. She really didn't leave me any room to be worried about this big transition in our lives. She is plain ready for some kid interaction. And, it is only 2 days per week for only 3 hours a day. I can do it! Right?
I have mentally prepared myself to get back on track with my training beginning April 1st, er...tomorrow! The last two weeks I have only been running twice and I have a race schedule coming up(see sidebar for upcoming races). The action begins with a local fire department 10K fundraiser in Skull Valley on April 30th. I ran this race in 2009 at 180 lbs, old tennis shoes and zero training under my belt. The day was freezing cold and rainy. I wish I knew what my time was and the race is not big enough, or official enough, to find my results online. I do remember that the course is a dirt road that gently descends with soft rolling hills. Coupled with a nice day, I could break the 1 hour goal I have set for myself.
Back in December my friend Emilie blogged about some races she had done, highlighting their strengths and weaknesses and whether or not it was a good experience. One that stood out for me was the Beach to Beacon 10K Race in Cape Elizabeth, ME. Fresh off my marathon finish I was looking for a race to do while back in New England over the summer. It was perfect, I would be there during the Beach to Beacon! Emilie and I talked and decided, if we could get in, we would race together. Through a series of events we both got in and will be there together, but the race was enriched further since my friend Maggie will be there with me, too!
The big race on my radar is the Whiskey Row Half Marathon on May 14th. This is a tough race and I've left only 6 real weeks to train for it. I've done the 10K distance before, in 2009 with Johanna in the jogging stroller, and my time was 1:11:52. I was in the same shape as the Skull Valley 10K and had a jogging stroller. So MUCH room for improvement!
Whiskey Row 10K, 2009
Going into these races I have the knowledge that one big thing has changed: my weight. That alone should guarantee me PRs. This morning I weighed 149.5 and have officially crossed into the 40's. When I started this journey in September I weighed 195 lbs. Just walking around during the day, bending over to pick something up and lifting my two babies in and out of cars has become easier. This sounds ridiculous now to point out, but it wasn't effortless before - believe me! Now, I feel confident calling myself a runner.
149.5

1 comment:
Hey runner - you truly inspire me! You rock!
Post a Comment