Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Staying healthy and the Taper

Marathon, marathon, marathon.... M A R A T H O N!!! I am obsessed.

The last couple days have been filled with ups and downs leading up to this goal of mine. On Sunday I went for a 6 mile run with my local running group. It was a fantastic run! I ran with my friend Jessica who recently ran her first marathon in December. I borderline harassed her with questions about every aspect of her day, and then tried to see how it could relate to me and my upcoming day. Marathon training has made me a little selfish. She appeased me and offered up some helpful tips. Aside from the tangible things like "bring chapstick", it's just confidence-building to talk to someone who has been through it and who you can relate with. Thank you to marathoners Emilie, Kathy, Jessica, and Lloyd for all your helpful tips and motivation. Here we are after running 6 miles on Sunday:


After the 6 miler I felt awesome. I had no pain at all. The next day I got my new shoes in the mail and decided to run in them that day - 3 miles. The run and the shoes felt good after I tightened the laces so the heel wouldn't slip. After the run my hamstrings really tightened up and that has been bothering me since Monday. Yesterday I ran 2 miles and that will likely be my final run before THE RACE. That made 4 days running in a row and maybe not the best idea.  Then last night my right Achilles started talking to me a little. Not bad, but not encouraging. I iced it before bed and this morning it feels okay. The Achilles is a sneaky bugger though. It could feel fine now and then creep up around mile 12 and I still have 14.2 miles to go. BUT, I am going to think positively!!

Just one more complaint, I am battling a cold right now. It's not severe and I have been fighting back by taking echinacea, probiotics and avoiding sugar. Right now I have a cough, but hopefully I feel great by the weekend. The weekend! Did you know it will be 73 degrees in Phoenix this weekend? That sounds absolutely incredible after all the cold we've been experiencing up here. It could provide an added challenge to the race, too, as I have been training in cold temps. But, yessss, it will be warm!!

It is becoming obvious that I will not reach my weight goal by race day.  Today I am 161 and I could be the most optimistic person you've ever met (that is, if you have never met my mother), and even I know 155 is out of the question by this Sunday.  Christmas and my mother-in-law's cooking are the culprits!!  It was all worthwhile and entering the race at this weight is okay with me.

Our Emmylou is spending some carefully supervised time standing up.  Sometimes I think I'll kiss her to death!


Bring on the rest!

161

3 comments:

Clarice said...

Best wishes in your marathon this weekend.

Trainer Momma said...

Good luck in the Rock n' Roll this weekend. Kiss the AZ ground for me -- I miss my home!

Brooke said...

Thank you ladies!