This morning I was in the bathroom "going potty". Johanna let herself in and I told her I needed some privacy, would she please close the door. She said yes and closed the door, but remained in the bathroom with me. Not what I meant, but fine. She asked me if I was okay and did I need to "hold hands"? It was too cute to pass up so we held hands. Then she wanted to wipe me. I passed. As I stood up to flush the toilet, she looked in and said with exuberance, "Nice, Mommy!" Deep down I know she will not always be this proud of me.
I have been making a good, and really easy, soup lately. The whole family loves it even with the spicy turkey sausage I use. I suppose you could easily substitute an Italian Sweet Sausage instead.
Spicy Turkey Sausage Soup
Ingredients:
1 package Jennie-O, Hot Italian Spicy Turkey Sausage links
1 Tbl olive oil
2-3 Russett potatoes, cubed
3 carrots, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2-3 shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4-5 cups water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1/2 cup dried split peas, rinsed
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup frozen corn
4-5 kale leaves, stemmed and torn
Directions:
Squeeze the sausage links out of their casings into a large pot over medium/high heat. Discard casings. Break up the sausage into bite-sized pieces and brown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove sausage and place on a paper towel, set aside. Wipe out pot with paper towel and add oil. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, shallots and garlic. Saute over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Add water, bouillon cube and sausage and bring to a boil. Add the spices and simmer covered over a low heat for about 35 minutes, or until the split peas are tender. Add corn and kale and cook another 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately, freeze or refrigerate. Enjoy!
158
No comments:
Post a Comment