This morning we woke up to no power. It was an extremely windy night and it rained for most of the morning. I took the girls with me to a babysitting job and then hit Costco on our way home. We walked into Costco when it was drizzling, and 25 minutes later when we walked out there was an inch of snow on the ground. This bad mommy forgot all our jackets! The drive home was long. The roads were terrible and what usually takes 20 minutes took an hour. There was a big accident on the road to our house and we were stopped for 30 minutes. When we finally got home the power was still out and I was trying to think about what I would feed the family for dinner. Scrambled eggs over the fire? Just then the lights came on and the refrigerator started humming. Halleluja!
Yesterday we went swimming in the morning and then home to bake. I felt like doing something easy so I made gingerbread using Beard on Bread's recipe with Blackstrap Molasses. I love anything ginger, anything bread-y and anything warm. The recipe suggested eating the bread warm with plenty of butter. I did just that for the first couple pieces, but found that it really didn't need the butter.
Johanna and Luke spend a couple mornings each week "playing" chess. She is the one who now asks to play and is uncharacteristically focused. Luke is incredibly patient and consistent with her and they have fun habits of counting the pieces while they set up the board. This morning Johanna set up her pieces unassisted for the first time. Pretty good!
The shoe fetish lives...
155
1 comment:
Brooke - perhaps you have it but one of my very favorite family recipes is for gingerbread - it is from Catharine Sanford Cooley - our great-grandmother - I love making something thatbhas been made for generations, and I think it is the best gingerbread I have ever had.
8x8 pan. 325 oven
Mix:
2 eggs
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c molasses
3/4 c melted butter
3/4 t Ginger
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t cloves
1/2 t nutmeg
2 c flour
2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t salt
After mixing all together, add 1 cup of boiling water, mix in
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
It's amazing. And on this cold, icy day in Lakewood, I just may be making some myself....
Post a Comment