Monday, June 20, 2011

Camp week

It was a busy week in our world. Luke watched the kids while I went to "work" all week. It was pretty different reversing the roles, but I think we both had success.

Day 1 - Another instructor (my friend, Amylee) and I took the kids on a 2 mile hike to a climbing area and taught them the basics. We climbed for a couple hours and then hiked back. It was 90+ degrees and let's just say the hike back was s l o w.

Day 2 - This time we took them rock climbing at an area that didn't involve a hike. It was equally hot out, but we had more shade to deal with the unrelenting Arizona sun.

Day 3 - I taught the kayak day on my own and we played games and inadvertently swam in the lake several times.  These pictures were taken by a grandparent at the end of the day.




Day 4 - This was our finale day and I took them out hiking, again on my own. We did a gorgeous trail up in the high pines, the Groom Creek Loop Trail 384. We hiked along the Hassayampa River bed that was still trickling. I wasn't very hopeful we'd find a good swimming hole in mid June. We hiked 4 miles before finding the perfect spot that even had a natural rock slide! By this final day the kids were really feeling connected and it was our best day by a landslide. They were such good little students and one kid carried out a huge bag of trash, left by an irresponsible camper, all on his own accord. Proud. It was the only day I brought a camera - see for yourselves.





While I was gone all week Luke constructed this in our backyard.


We also went back to cloth diapering a few weeks ago. More on this later...



150.5

No comments: