Monday, June 27, 2011

CFC - 7th and Final Day

Well it's over. Tomorrow I will wake up and have a cup of coffee... or three. I will make my daughter french toast for her birthday and eat some myself. With real maple syrup. And butter. Oh boy!

Breakfast
-2 eggs scrambled
-8oz Green Baba

Lunch
-salad with mixed greens, romaine, carrots, cabbage, olives, sunflower seeds, currants, sun-dried tomatoes, garbanzo beans, beets and miso dressing
-coconut water with pulp

Snack
watermelon

Dinner
corn
large sweet potato with olive oil and sea salt

Dessert
1/2 apple with peanut butter



This has been an awesome exercise in discipline. My favorite part of the CFC is that it stopped me from finishing my kids' dinner plates, tasting this, testing that, the dead stare into the cupboard - EATING WITHOUT THOUGHT. It really isn't very hard to follow and I was questioned a lot this time about the "rules". I caught myself several times calling it a "cleanse" while explaining it to inquiring minds. It is not a cleanse. It is simply eating clean and with mindfulness.

The only time I ever felt restricted was when I didn't plan ahead. Nourishing our bodies has become such a convenience store pit stop. It is so easy to find food that no planning is required. That is, if you're willing to fill your tank with the empty calories that most "fast food" provides. And I'm not talking about Micky D's. In my case it's the bread, the cheese, the pretzels, the goldfish, the cookies, the treats and all the other things I eat that seem filling. THEY ARE NOT ULTIMATELY FILLING YOUR TANK WITH THE RIGHT FUEL. We need the nutrition and sustaining energy that a big, hearty salad or baked sweet potato provides.

I will happily join the "in moderation" club tomorrow, though. I love bread and cheese and treats. There's no way I would deprive myself on a regular basis. It just should not be my norm, which it was, and that has been a GREAT REMINDER.

During this Clean Food Challenge I never felt hungry. Why would I? I was eating real food and as much as I desired. I lost 5 lbs. in 6 days(tomorrow could show more lost). I will confirm that the challenge was easier to do in the summer. My guess is the water intake is more natural and there are so many fresh fruits available and delicious this time of year. I ate massive quantities of berries for sustenance, not only as a treat which I normally do. Thanks for the rally, Emilie!

I'll leave you with a picture of some cute kids from tonight.



145

3 comments:

Emilie said...

You are so so right about the convenience eating. I think that is probably my biggest take-away this time... the planning ahead, even just a little, will keep me in whole, healthy foods and not just grabbing and going.

Enjoy your french toast! I'm eating a bagel right now and it tastes good! xo

Abigail said...

Cute kids! Can't wait to see them this weekend!

Ashleigh and Andy said...

i love this picture of your girls!