Sunday, November 7, 2010

Garlic feet

Today was boring.

Yesterday a couple funny things happened.  I did go on my run.  I did 6 miles and felt good.  My legs were tired at the end, but when aren't they?  The run was not flat.  It basically went uphill for 3 miles and then we turned around.  I'm glad I didn't try for the full 13 and I'm ready to tackle this week starting Tuesday with 4 miles.

Back to the funny things.  Johanna really was getting better yesterday, but Emmy was looking sick and very crabby.  I was on the phone with a friend and we were talking sickness because it seems our whole town has been ravaged by it.  A co-worker of hers told her about a sure thing remedy for chest colds and colds in general.  In fact she had just used it on her own mother.  I was feeling pretty desperate so I was all ears.  First, you massage your foot with olive oil, liberally.  Then you apply a lot of minced garlic towards the center of your foot followed by saran wrapping your foot.  Then put your socks back on. 

This sounded great to me.  I was determined to do it to myself, and Emmy.  Luke walked in from his bike ride as I was collecting ingredients from the kitchen.  After I told him my plans he was silently trying to figure out if I was serious, I think.  Emmy was first.  With the baby on her back, on a blanket, in the middle of the living room floor I got to work.  First the olive oil and that was the nice part.  The garlic was a little tricky getting it to stay put so I put a pool of it in the saran wrap and pressed it against the foot.  Luke walked in right around then.  He started laughing out loud claiming this was the funniest thing he'd "ever" seen.  I told him he needed to get out more.  As I was working on her second foot Emmy was slowly unwrapping the first.  Uh oh.  It was quite a display with me and my oil drenched hands and garlic pieces flying all over.  I had to enlist Luke's help to get her socks and put them on as she wriggled around clueless, thankfully.  And he did, laughing all the way.

By then I was too tired to do my own feet.  I just played with Emmy until the stink got to be too much, maybe an hour.  Then we took a bath together which seemed the best approach to clean her off.  She LOVED the bath swimming.  I realized then that I had never taken her swimming in her entire 5 months of life.  Johanna had been several times by then, even down the water slide at 3 months old.  So that's on the to do list.

Did the garlic work?  I'm going to call it inconclusive since she was on the mend anyhow.   Go here and scroll to the bottom - it's for real!

And I'll save the other story for another day.  Good night.

177.5

3 comments:

lorni said...

what about trying the onion remedy?

Brooke said...

I thought about that! Next time for sure. Where did we hear about that again?

Ashleigh and Andy said...

laughing so hard here in evergreen!