Sunday, December 12, 2010

18 miler and the zoo

I did the run on Saturday.  My Achilles was fine and I was feeling on top of the world.  It was a gorgeous 65 degree day and sunny.  I was in a tank top and capris chatting with my girlfriends the whole way.  Sadly, one of my friends twisted her knee last week and it was a very iffy run for her the whole time.  I felt one or two twinges in my Achilles that went away.  I was in such high spirits I felt as if I could run a marathon right then and there.  That's how good I was feeling.  Then... at about mile 12 my Achilles started up and wouldn't go away.  My friend decided to turn around which would put us at 15 miles total for the run.  I chose to turn around with her not knowing how bad it could get for me.  Miles 13 and 14 were pretty painful, but mile 15 felt okay.  I'm glad I turned around and 15 miles was a good run. 

I stretched a lot yesterday during and after the run.  I iced and used the Arnica Rub a few times.  Right now it feels tender when I stretch it or rub it.  I plan to do a few swims instead of runs this week.  I'm just kind of winging it now and hoping that's okay to do. 

I took the girls to our local zoo today.  It's a very special zoo where all the animals have been rescued.  It's small and friendly and so perfect for youngsters.  Once we arrived we were informed, suprise!, Santa is here.  I grabbed my camera and wondered how this would go for Johanna.


Turns out Johanna was not really that interested in Santa.


Well okay, since you have a lollipop...


Here is the resident mountain lion/cougar/puma. She is fairly small, but it is still so fun to see one up close. We caught her giving herself a bath and Johanna was calling to her, "hi kitty". The cat even meowed a few times in a very pathetic way which did not sound fitting.



Licking her lips.



At the end I talked Johanna into posing with Emmy on the park bench. Watch as she loses interest during the 3 shots which took all of 3 seconds. I performed a desperate save to catch Emmy. In Johanna's defense, she was still working on her lollipop which was lying on the bench next to her during the shoot. Distracted.




168

1 comment:

Martha Schickedanz said...

Good for you, Brooke.....impressive.
Mom